Here at Hike It Off our intention has always been to build a community that aligns with our core values and our audience and their needs. We work with brands that not only we think are awesome and unique, but are a brand we can really rally for- whether that’s because of their innovative products, their commitment to the environment, or being a brand founded/run by a woman or BIPOC. So when we were offered to do a review for HydraPak’s new Flux™ 1 liter Ultra-light reusable bottle we were in!
Founded in 2001, Hydrapak’s mission is to “relentlessly create better hydration solutions for performance-driven people”. Inspired by their Northern California home, and the trails in their backyard- the Sierra Crest, Yosemite, the Redwoods, Hydrapak is constantly being driven to do more and to go beyond. They believe in performance driven design and spend thousands of hours on each detail to ensure their products are the last of your worries on any of your adventures. Their reputation and collaboration has earned them partnerships with brands like Salomon and Osprey, and this performance-driven attitude defines who they are.
Obviously we are all for reusable water bottles, especially ones that are ultra-light! One of the biggest impacts we can have on our planet is refusing to use single use bottles. Here are a few facts regarding single use plastic bottles and single use plastic products from Earthday.org:
- In 2016, world plastics production totaled around 335 million metric tons. Roughly half of annual plastic production is destined for a single-use product.
- Humans buy about 1,000,000 plastic bottles per minute in total. Only about 23% of plastic bottles are recycled within the U.S.
- Americans purchase about 50 billion water bottles per year, averaging about 13 bottles per month for every person in the U.S.! That means by using a reusable water bottle, you could save an average of 156 plastic bottles annually.
- It is estimated that 4 trillion plastic bags are used worldwide annually. Only 1% of plastic bags are returned for recycling. Americans throw away 100 billion plastic bags annually. That’s about 307 bags per person! All that waste can be eliminated by switching to reusable shopping bags.
- Half a million straws are used in the world every day. Refusing straws is becoming a trending practice!
- 500 billion disposable cups are consumed every year. Americans alone throw away 25 billion styrofoam coffee cups every year. Styrofoam cannot be completely recycled. Most of the Styrofoam disposed of today will still be present in landfills 500 years from now.
- The main cause for the increase in plastic production is plastic packaging. Plastic packaging was 42% of all non-fiber plastic produced in 2015, and it also made up 52% of plastics thrown away.
- Single-use-plastics frequently do not make it to a landfill or are recycled. A full 32% of the 78 million tons of plastic packaging produced annually is left to flow into our oceans; the equivalent of pouring one garbage truck of plastic into the ocean every minute. This is expected to increase to two per minute by 2030 and four per minute by 2050. By 2050, this could mean there will be more plastic than fish in the world’s oceans. Choosing to buy products with less packaging or no packaging altogether makes a big difference.
- Even when single-use plastics are sent to landfills (there are 3,091 active landfills in the U.S. alone), they aren’t harmless. Landfill liners can leak harmful pollutants into the watershed and plastics on the tops of landfills can be carried away by the wind. The best way to curb single-use plastic pollution is to reduce your personal plastic consumption.
The facts are harrowing, and we want to do everything we can to increase the use of reusable water bottles, including HydraPak’s new Flux™ 1 liter reusable bottle. We love The Flux because it is unique- it is shaped like a hard bottle but can compress down like a soft flask once it is empty saving pack space. It cuts weight by 60% and is designed with a bail handle that you can hold in your hand or secure to your pack.
Top features include:
- At only 77g, it packs down smaller than a deck of cards, your new thru-hiking essential. Soft walls won't give you that hard bottle bounce, fits in pack bottle sleeves and rolls up when empty for space saving storage.
- Flexible bail handle for comfortable carrying, quick attachment, and filling in a lake or river.
- Twist to drink nozzle is spill-proof and features a self-sealing valve.
- Compatible with most 42mm threaded water filters (ie: Katadyn BeFree), it makes an easier to fill and more durable squeeze bag in the backcountry.
- Made of dual-layer, abrasion resistant TPU & RF welded seams for superior durability and elasticity.
- 100% BPA & PVC free, wide working temperature range (can be frozen - max temp 60° C / 140° F).
- Unique drink through cap with spill-proof valve for easy drinking and no leak-usage
- Attaches to most 42mm threaded water filters, use as your backcountry squeeze bag or drink directly through.
- Dual-layer film laminate construction adds structure and RF-welded soft walls give grip without compromising. Check out the Flux and HydraPak’s other products here!